by Robecca Leyden and Anne-Marie Jones
2021 has been a year. The second year of what feels like the plague, you won’t be judged if you’re patting yourself on the back for simply surviving. That said, we at SP, thought we’d make our own 2022 Personal Goals list - however if the last 2 years have changed anything in us - It’s the things we find important.
The SP 2022 GOALS LIST
- The weight of other people’s expectations. This might sound a little cheesy, but it’s so so true. Humans are social animals and we crave pack approval. Which is all fine and dandy but if you’re not hurting anyone then do you. Don’t be afraid to be aggressively, loudly, messily, rambunctiously YOU. Be the weirdo. Get excited about the obscure hobby, date who and how you want - people’s opinions, even society as a whole - is all just a construct. As long as you’re not hurting anyone just do what feels right. As the late, great Bill Hicks once said; “It’s all just a ride”.
- Worrying about where we are in life. I’m in my 30s and being in your 30s is a wild time. Half your friends have full-on families with a mortgage and the other half drink and party on the weekends like they are in their 20s - and you know what? It’s all totally fine. I have a complicated relationship with time, it's something I’m always concerned about. I worry that time is passing me by, nearly daily, if i’m honest. 2022 I want to be the year I stop worrying about where I am in life and what I’ve achieved by a certain age.
- We deserve nice things. This seems obvious, but it might possibly be the hardest one of these to believe. Sometimes, it’s easier to expect the worst then get yourself overly optimistic only to be let down in a crushing manner. BUT what if we had enough faith in ourselves that when good things did happen, we recognise them and were comfortable with them and celebrated them because we deserve good things to happen? That would increase life’s enjoyability megafold.
- Take care of our health. Now, more than ever, it's important to look after ourselves, and 2022 is gonna be the year of doing the best we can to take care of our mental and physical health. Resting more, drinking more water, getting those moles checked out, the little things we can do to improve our life.
5. Do more of what makes us happy. Work-life-family balance is hard to get right, but we want to make sure we enjoy our hobbies, time with friends, and the things we enjoy in 2022. Every minute we live is a minute we aren't getting back, so make sure you enjoy as many of them as you can!
6. Don't dwell on negativity. The past few years, let's face it, we've all been caught up in the 'this year sucks' mentality. 2022 is going to suck if you're starting the year thinking it's going to suck. Or it could be a fresh new year full of opportunities. If you have toxic, negative people in your life, take a step way back as far as you can from them. Surround yourself with the people who inspire and encourage you, and bring out the best in you, even if it means a much smaller social group - quality, not quantity.